conversations in the office [door closed]

Today I wore my combat boots. Black sweater and trousers. Today I thought I was ready for just about anything. I was pulling on my jacket when she arrived. We frowned at one another in usual fashion. So instead of walking to the library, I sat on the top of my desk and listened to her explain the salutation: my life sucks.

We had a long conversation about things like the differences between love and lust and infatuation. About long term relationships. Whether marriage is a faulty and inherently flawed construction. Maybe she’s right. Maybe it is. But I’m still not convinced.

God, she said as I attempted to leave, You always keep me guessing.
How’s that?
It’s just funny. You come across as so postmodern. So self-effacing, but then underneath it all you’re actually a hopeless romantic.
Maybe I am a bit idealistic, but I’d never admit to that, no.
It’s easier to come across as a misanthrope, huh?
Hey. Life sucks, right? (shaking my head) Have a great fucking holiday man.

I could hear her saying something in response as I closed the door, but I was just happy to be getting out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home