racing away

He turns his head to the right. Covers his left nostril with two fingers from his right hand. Blows hard into the wind. Shoots a glare in my direction over his left shoulder. Shouts keep up. I’m losing pace. Steadily becoming out of step. Turns quickly right again and spits onto the pavement where I pass. If you were in better shape, he pushes through his own heaving breaths, you’d be able to stay with me. He pulls away as the cramps in both my calves seize forward motion. As the arch of my right foot begins to contract and burn. I slow. Breathe. Bend at the waist. Turn my elbows out and rest my palms against my knees. Arch my back. Gulp air. Turn my face up and watch the brand name flash then disappear from the bottom of each shoe as he kicks away. Opposing directions, I think, as I turn and walk slowly toward home. Every catch in every muscle a reminder that no matter what – I’ll never be enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home