what happens to people who don’t realize they’re environmentalists

at the coffee house and ordering a latte
i think first about how i’ll have to come back here to study on early mornings
because it’s quiet and they’ve got cheap pastries
and because i wouldn’t mind this particular barista waiting on me
on a regular basis
grab my steaming cup from the counter
to go cups – horrifyingly – styrofoam

me: hey, if i bring in my own cup next time, can you use that instead?
barista: uh, yeah, i guess so. [awkward silence] is there a problem?
me: [indignantly] yeah, you use styrofoam cups.
[i point at the cup in my hand stupidly, as if he hasn’t been working there longer than the 10 minutes i’ve been in the store.]
barista: uh, okay.
me: well, these aren’t recyclable, see . . . [i start heading for the door.] have a good day.
barista: have a great one.

on second thought, maybe i’ll find some place else to hang out

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home